Monday, September 10, 2018

Airplane Update #21

Hey everyone, I once again have some good and bad news; this time I'll start with the bad, which is that the printer nozzle part I broke (from the last post) was seized at the border and sent back to its country of origin, China. The people who I bought the part from said they will try to resend the part, so hopefully it'll make it through customs the next time around.

Now, onto the better stuff. I've been keeping busy during this time and have a few interesting things to show, which I'll be posting over the next couple of days into more readable chunks of text. Today I'll be talking about the interior battery compartment I've designed for the airplane, and after that I'll put up some of the mini-projects I've worked on in C# and Unity, which include a scientific calculator, scale model of our solar system, and a differential equation solver that makes use of Euler's method for approximating solutions. In addition to all of this, I've (finally) ordered a battery charger and metal rod to which the stabilizers will be connected to, and I'll make a separate post for those as well once they arrive in the mail.

With that out of the way, here's the battery compartment:

The compartment will sit in the second of the four airplane fuselage parts, directly above the wings/center of gravity. The design itself is quite simple, with a four-sided pen surrounding the battery, which then sits atop a solid bed and support structure that connects directly to the fuselage's bottom layer. Here's a close-up of the aforementioned bed:

The pen itself is also a little longer than the fuselage component it lies in (11cm vs 10cm in length), which is to account for the battery's length of 10.5cm. Later on I will have to make some holes in the pen (by melting the plastic) to make room for the cabling and create space for the attachment of metal pins which will help keep the battery from rocking around during flight. I might also add a hatch on the top for further stabilize the structure and keep the battery in place, but that will require a bit of testing once I can actually print the parts.

Tomorrow I'll post the first of my three C# mini-projects, and hopefully by the time I finish with them the new printer part will have arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment