Sunday, October 1, 2017

Airplane Update #3

Hello again, today I just wanted to provide an update on the airplane design so far. I've been modeling the aircraft in CATIA v5 based off the original blueprints I posted a few days ago. Here is a picture of it as of now:
However, as I began working on the tail I realized that I didn't really have a precise plan with regards to modeling it. So, I did some more math to come up with parameters that made sense to implement in CATIA, and came up with this:
 


















Basically, I estimated the center of gravity (0.06m), the neutral point (0.0715m), the stability margin (0.115), the horizontal and vertical tail volume coefficients (0.892 and 0.0537, respectively), and an adequate dihedral wing angle that would ensure spiral stability (11 degrees). These values were calculated using a reference datum at the very front of the aircraft, a horizontal tail area (Sh) of 0.01665m2, a vertical tail area (Sv) of 0.006875m2, a horizontal tail moment arm (lh) of 0.375m, a vertical tail moment arm of 0.3825m, and a horizontal tail aspect ratio (ARh) of 5.405. Probably the most important part of this whole analysis was adjusting the dihedral wing angle, since the high value provides enough stability to negate the need for ailerons. This makes both the design and building process for the plane much simpler, and will hopefully make it easier to fly for somebody that has never controlled an RC aircraft (aka me). I'll make another update soon once the first iteration of the airplane that accounts for the new changes I discussed above is complete. I'll also purchase a power-plant, propeller, and batteries and put up some pictures when they arrive.

2 comments:

  1. The wings on the CATIA model kind of look small compared to the size/volume of the fuselage. Wonder if that's a combination of camera angle and isometric view ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. I might make them a bit bigger, though, and see if they look better.

      Delete