Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Airplane Update #1

Hey guys, first post here. For my first project I'll be designing and building an RC airplane from scratch while documenting the progress on this blog. As a first step I just made some rough diagrams and calculations of a simple monoplane to get a feel for its performance:
 Basically, I used a parabolic drag model to approximate the minimum power required to get the plane off the ground, along with some other important parameters like the lift and drag coefficients. I made some basic approximations regarding the mass, Oswald span efficiency coefficient, and zero-lift drag coefficient, but other than that I tried to be as accurate as possible. The next step will be to create a model of the plane in Catia before running it through ANSYS and seeing how off-base my original predictions were. More to come soon...

3 comments:

  1. Great start.
    Can you talk about your design choices, why this type of airplane, size, etc ?
    Powerplant - electric or the gazoline engine ?
    Also, how do you plan to make the parts - molding/3d_printing and what materials ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for your interest in this project. To answer your questions, I went with a monoplane design due to being more efficient (less drag produced) and simpler to physically make than a biplane (which needs two wings compared to one, along with external support to keep those wings stable). As for the powerplant, I'll be going with an electric engine since they're lighter than other options. When the time comes to make the actual parts I planned on using the Original Prusa i3 MK2S 3D printer and 1.75mm PLA filament. Hope that answers your questions, and thanks once again for your interest!

    ReplyDelete